About Me

My photo
Columbus, Ohio, United States
I'm a stay at home mom and wife with a passion for family, creating and photography. I'm a little bit quirky and a little bit odd, but that's what makes me...well me. I'm a jack of all trades. So check back often because, to paraphrase Forest Gump's mom "I'm like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Developing a Creative space

I've been doing a lot of juggling these days. Especially since I'm transitioning from a stay at home mom to a work at home mom. Being a photographer, artist, blogger, karaoke diva, domestic goddess, budding master chef/baker, super mom and wonder wife is a little difficult to balance. Lately I've been working on my office/creative space. I always have something going on and can never find what I need to complete it. I know I have it, I just don't know where it's at. My current use of space just isn't working. Since this is going to be my command central for pretty much everything involving the family, business and my passion for art, this space is going to be key to keep everything together.


The previous space I was using was a crawl space in the playroom. This photo was before I moved  my stuff in. Trust it was full in no time. It has plenty of shelves and storage, but not head room. You always had to move the couch and furniture to get in to it, so I simply would put things off. Another pitfall was it's lack of lighting and electrical outlets. Don't get me wrong. It's a great space, it's just not convenient or inspiring. I want something I can easily go into everyday and be inspired. This will remain storage, but most of my supplies are going to be moved into my Shangri La aka the laundry/dressing area.

It's not a huge space, but the actually laundry is in a small room off the side and two of the walls are wall to wall closets. I was going to use both for closet space, but I don't need that much space for clothes. I do need a great work and artist space that I walk through everyday and get inspired.

I'm still in the planning stages. I can't afford to buy a bunch of stuff so I'm using what I have. Today I took stock.  I have say I have accumulated a great collection of cool containers, but I never seem to use the constructively. I'm hoping with the help of pintrest I can organize my thoughts into a complete design finally. I'm thinking rustic, shabby chic, fantastical, steampunk, antique, distressed......you get the idea. And chalk paint, basic black chalk paint. Everywhere!!!! This is a taste of cool storage items I already have. I think I've got a good plan to start with. Now I guess I need to explore pintrest to figure out how to pull it together.




There's wooden wine creates, galvanized metal buckets, and baskets


Vintage and dying to look vintage photo boxes


Antique Mason & Bell Jars

...and plenty of other containers just waiting to be altered. Well an idea is planted, and now I need to let it sprout into a plan. Until then I best get back to work.




No comments: